Elephant Ear 'Red Secret'
Also called ‘Mirror Plant, the Elephant Ear ‘Red Secret,’ has luminous leaves that seem to change form when approached from different angles. The iridescence on plant leaves is a relatively isolated phenomenon. To date, iridescent plants have only been found in the lower canopy of Asian rainforests and a handful of other locations.
I am a rare Alocasia variety with metallic deep red and green leaves that are almost irridescent. Some even say I look spray painted!
Plants at the bottom of these dense tropical forests get a tiny fraction of the light above the canopy. To cope, these special plants have adapted to reflect light, allowing them to bounce the sunlight between their leaves. For this reason, your Alocasia cuprea is more likely to bush outwards than grow upwards: think of it as a compact showstopper.
Key Benefits — Colour and Purification
Their prominent elephant ear-shaped leaves and metallic deep red-green colours can play a big influence on our mood. Prominent colours affect how our sympathetic nervous system behaves and how relaxed we feel.
This is a relephant plant to impact air quality. Tropical plants like Alocasias are great at air purifying, as part of photosynthesis, they filter our VOCs and COs indoors.
Plant Care Tips: The Alocasia Red Secret
- The Red Secret needs well-draining soil, this ensures that excess water isn’t held onto. If extra water doesn’t drain, the soil becomes saturated.
- Place in an area with indirect light to aid healthy growth and prevent the leaves from turning yellow.
- Elephant Ears will require regular watering. Make sure the soil is always moist but not wet, this can cause root rot.
- Being a tropical plant, it prefers warmer temperatures, ideally between 10°C and 29°C during the day and 12°C and 18°C at night.
- Tropical plants like Alocasias also thrive in humid rooms, so they are perfect for bathrooms and kitchens.
- We recommend feeding it every two weeks during the growing season. An all-purpose houseplant fertiliser diluted to half-strength will do the trick.
- The plant will need to be re-potted every 2 years to allow the roots to stretch
Your new Alocasia Red Secret
Growing pot size: 12cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 35-40cm
How tall does it grow?
Although it features large leaves, the mature plant will not grow over 2 feet tall.
The Alocasia Red Secret Story
Who is the Alocasia Red Secret?
Its eye-catching leaves are quite unusual. They can be green or red and resemble elephant ears, hence the name.
The name ‘cuprea’ comes from the coppery appearance of the leaves which can grow up to 24 inches long.
Where is it from?
Also known as Jewel Alocasias, they are originally from hot humid environments, particularly Borneo but they also grow in other countries of Southeast Asia and South America.
Good For You!
- Breathe: Alocasias are great at increasing the humidity indoors making our homes healthier and more comfortable. .
- Connect: Tropical plants enhance the sensation of being in nature. Being in nature is beneficial to regulate stress levels and feel connected with ourselves.
Is The Alocasia Red Secret The Right Plant For Me?
For inexperienced plant parents, this Elephant Ear may take a bit of effort, that doesn’t mean that it’s not the right one for you. Make sure you follow our care tips and if you encounter any trouble, seek advice.
Pets: Harmful to pets
Useful to know:
I am native to Borneo.
I will grow to 1m tall but am a slow grower.
I prefer a spot with indirect light. Please keep me far away from direct sunlight as it will scorch and fade my leaves.
Keep my soil evenly moist but make sure I'm never left sitting in water. Water me once the top 2cm of soil is dry.
I am not too fussy but prefer a room temperature between 16-24 C.
Half strength fertiliser every couple of weeks between March and September is plenty for me. Never feed me during winter as too much salt will accumulate in the soil and burn my leaves.
Cut off any withered or sunburned leaves and wipe me with a damp cloth to remove dust.
I love humidity so if you can, keep me on a tray of wet pebbles, near a humidifier or group me with other plants.
All parts of me are poisonous if ingested to keep me away from nibbly pets and kids.
Although I originally come from South East Asia, I was first grown commercially in Hawaii where I got the Hawaiian name 'alii' meaning 'king.'
*Decorative pot sold separately.
An increasingly popular houseplant that will add a focal point to your room. The Elephant Ear Red Secret is available now!