The Calathea Orbifolia is a long-term Bloombox Club favourite, with its bright green-silver colouring and crisp pattern.
At a large size, the air-purifying benefits of the Orbifolia really begin to be felt. It can also transpire and act as a natural humidifier in your home. Plus, the big leaves, covered in tiny pores will trap VOCs in the home.
Originating from the rain forests of Central and South America, the Calathea orbifolia likes indirect light, warmth and humidity (which can be replicated through misting).
Growing pot size: 27cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 70-80cm
Key Benefits — Relax with better air quality!
The Calathea Orbifolia formal and biological characteristics are associated with reduced stress, heightened focus and improve air quality. Humans are hardwired to respond positively to particular forms, colours and patterns in nature, as these would have signalled an abundant landscape in prehistoric times. As a green plant with soft, oval-shaped leaves and a distinct fractal pattern, the Orbifolia scores highly on each of these counts, so it's worth investing in one.
Plant Care Tips: Calathea Orbifolia
- Make sure the Calathea Orbifolia is in a warm area with temperatures between 18ºC and 24ºC bright light. Avoid droughts and direct sunlight as this can scorch its leaves. Rotate it weekly to encourage even growth.
- Keep the plant moist but avoid soggy soil. Let the top layer of the soil dry out between waterings.
- Being a tropical plant, this plant thrives with high humidity levels. Perfect for steamy bathrooms and kitchens! You can also mist it daily or place it on a tray with wet pebbles to increase humidity.
- Only feed it during the growing season. Use a well-balanced general purpose fertiliser once a month.
- Also during the growing season, prune damaged or yellowing leaves with clean sharp gardening shears.
- Repot it once every two years to change the soil and increase the pot size. Use a well-draining peat-based potting mix.
The Calathea Orbifolia Story
Where is it from?
A tropical plant from the rainforests of South America, mainly Bolivia.
Who is the Calathea Orbifolia?
- Orbifolia is one of the larger species in the Calathea family.
- Commonly known as the Orbifolia Prayer Plant, due to its growing habit, at night, their leaves fold looking like they are praying!
- It has recently been reclassified as Geoppertia orbifolia.
Good For You!
- Focus: Plants with fractal patterns like the Calathea Orbifolia can help increase concentration and our abilities to focus on difficult tasks.
- Cognition: Studies have shown that adding plants to office and study environments increase creativity and our ability to problem solve!
Is Calathea Orbifolia The Right Plant For Me?
This ornamental plant does have specific care needs and it can be on the fussy side so, it may be quite demanding for inexperienced gardeners.
We think looking after the Calathea Orbifolia is a very rewarding challenge! With patience and following the correct care instructions, this Prayer Plant will give you incredible benefits and impress your guests!
Pets: Pet friendly
How tall does it grow? They can grow up to 2 feet tall with leaves that expand to 12 inches wide!
*Decorative pots sold separately
Boost your wellbeing and your indoor decor with this wonderful plant! Get your Calathea Orbifolia today!