The Calathea Ornata is visually stunning. Its leaves are a deep, glossy green, and feature pale pink and white markings in a striped pattern. For this reason, it’s commonly known as the Pinstripe Calathea. Like all calatheas, the Ornata needs a little more attention than other houseplants, but it will reward you with gorgeous foliage and improved air quality.
Growing pot size: 19cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 70-80cm
Key Benefits — Purifying and Sleep
Calatheas are wonder plants in terms of our wellbeing philosophy. They're pro air purifiers, wonderful for filtering toxins and pollutants from the atmosphere, making it easier to breathe and focus.
Studies have also linked plants' oxygenation of the air to better sleep quality for humans, so there's a real opportunity for the Calathea Ornata to contribute to your daily routine!
They are a popular choice for bedrooms, since their unusual leaves naturally fold up at night and unfurl during the day, often with a rustling sound. Keeping a Calathea in your home can be a great way to attune yourself to a more natural sleep cycle!
Calathea Ornata Care
- The Pinstripe Calathea Ornata is native to the South American rain forest, so does best in humid environments. Calatheas do well in bathrooms or kitchens because of this but can be kept in any room if they are misted a couple of times per week.
- Water it regularly only allowing the surface of the soil to dry slightly between waterings. They are not drought tolerant but make sure you avoid keeping the soil too wet to prevent root rot. Use rain or distilled water. The Calathea Ornata is sensitive to hard water.
- Make sure it’s kept in an area with bright indirect sunlight with temperatures between 16 and 29ºC.
- During the growing season, feed it with a houseplant fertiliser.
- They don’t need constant repotting, just once the roots have become too large for the container, their preferred choice of soil is a peat-based mix.
The Calathea Ornata Story
Where is it from?
Colombia and Venezuela.
Good For You!
- Humidifying: Because they love humidity so much, as they transpire, they become amazing natural humidifiers in your home helping relieve respiratory complaints and skiing sensitivities!
- Connection: They like a little extra care which gives you the chance to build a nurturing relationship with your plant. The fact that these plants need slightly more considerate care than many other houseplants allows you to develop a nurturing relationship with your plant, too.
Is The Calathea Ornata The Right Plant For Me?
The Calathea Ornata is naturally found growing in damp, swampy tropical forests so the conditions need to be replicated for this plant to thrive.
They are known for being a little fussy, needing regular watering, humidity and occasional dusting. With the extra attention that this plant needs it will bring you incredible benefits, not only looks-wise but also health-wise!
Totally worth it!
Pets: Pet friendly
How tall does it grow? It grows to a modest 2 feet tall!
*Decorative pots sold separately
Beneficial in many ways, this incredible plant is waiting to be part of your indoor oasis! Get yours today!