Ctenanthe oppenheimiana ‘Amagris’
The Never Never Plant 'Amagris'
Ctenanthes, also known as ‘Never Never’ Plants are evergreen perennials that have become popular due to their attractive patterned leaves.
The Amagris variety was an unexpected mutation of the Ctenanthe Burle-marxii that was spotted in a Belgium laboratory.
I have beautiful grey-green rubbery leaves with a striking fishbone pattern. The undersides of my leaves are a deep purple.
Pretty grey-green patterned leaves with purple undersides will add a tropical touch to your home.
Growing pot size: 12cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 20-25 cm
Plant Care Tips: Calathea Amagris
- Calathea Amagris appreciate bright indirect light.
- Keep the solid moist but not wet (this will cause root tor). Let the top of the soil dry out between waterings.
- The best option when choosing the soil is a well-draining potting mix. A mixture of peat and perlite soil will do the trick.
- The ideal temperature will be between 13 and 29ºC. Avoid leaving the plant outside during cold winters as it will struggle with hard frosts.
- Feed it once a month during the growing season with a water-soluble fertiliser.
- As with other tropical plants, it prefers humid environments, if you don’t have a humidifier, spraying it occasionally or placing the plant pot on a tray with pebbles and water can help.
- Wipe the leaves with a clean cloth.
- You will only need to prune it if you want to maintain its size.
The Calathea Amagris Story
Where is it from?
Ctenanthe are native to tropical rainforests of Central and South America, especially Brazil.
Good For You!
- Purifying: plants transform water, carbon dioxide and light into oxygen purifying the air we breathe.
- Humidifying: Tropical plants are used to humid environments, at home, this means that they will transpire and act as a natural humidifier.
Pets: non-toxic for pets
Useful to know:
I am a chance mutation from Belgium but my close relations are from Southeast Brazil.
I will only reach about 30cm high but I can spread much wider.
I like a lot of diffused light, but direct sunlight will cause the leaves to fade and lose my precious markings. Because I grow on the canopy floor, I can tolerate shade, but I grow much better with indirect light.
I like my soil to be moist, but I am also susceptible to root rot, so don't let me sit in water. Think little and often as a watering policy.
I Prefer warm to high temperatures, ideally between 18-23°C but I can cope with as low as 15°C. Avoid draughts and ensure I have reasonable ventilation.
Apply a weak dose of a nitrogen rich foliage fertiliser once or twice a month during the growing season.
Wipe my leaves with a damp cloth to remove dust, so that I can breathe properly.
I like humidity so please occasionally spray me with water.
Good news, I am not toxic.
I am a naturally occuring whole-plant mutation of the Ctenanthe Burle-marxii. My different leaf pattern was spotted by a plant inventor in a Belgian lab in 2000 and I was given my very own cultivar, ‘Amagris’. I am also really good at removing toxins from the air, so I'll help you breathe more easily.
*Decorative pot sold separately.
Striking patterned leaves and vibrant greens, a beautiful addition to your home! Get yours now!