The Fishbone Cactus received this name because of its long, green, flat wavy stems. The stems start growing upright only to trail down as they get older. Given that extra bit of attention, it may even flower in late summer.
The Fishbone cactus is easy to look after and requires little attention. Keep it in bright indirect light and let it dry out in between watering.
To propagate, try cutting one of my stems off close to the soil and pop it in some water until roots form.
Growing pot size: 12cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 20-25cm
Key Benefits - Resilient and easy to propagate!
Fishbone cactus are resilient to pests and if you follow the correct care instructions it will grow healthily with no infestations.
You can also really easily propagate the plant by taking stem cuttings during the growing season. You can place the cuttings in water and watch the roots grow before planting it or put the cuttings directly into soil.
Plant Care Tips: Fishbone Cactus
- The Fishbone Cactus will appreciate a bright area with indirect light. In the summer, a little bit of early morning sun will be appreciated to encourage flowers.
- Water it regularly in the warmer months and less during the winter.
- Unlike other cacti, this one enjoys a little bit of moisture. Placing it near other plants is sufficient to give it enough humidity.
- Normal household temperature is perfect!
The Fishbone Cactus Story
Also known as the Zig Zag cactus and Rick Rack Cactus
Where is it from?
Native to Mexico
Who is the Zig Zag cactus?
Younger plants are perfect as a table-top ornament but as they mature, their stems will start growing and hang out of the pot so they may need extra space. A great alternative is to place it in a hanging container!
Good For You!
- Happiness: Having an active hobby like caring for plants has been proven to release endorphins relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Good health! The colour green has a feel-good effect on us. Plants can help lift our spirits and connect us to nature.
Is The Fishbone Cactus The Right Plant For Me?
The Fishbone Cactus is easy to grow and it will even stand a little unintentional neglect. Plus, its zig zag stems will put a smile on anyone’s face!
It’s also not toxic! So, safe for children and pets!
How tall does it grow? The Zig Zag cactus has foliage that can reach about 30cm in length.
Looks that will put a smile on your face and are easy to care for. Get your Fishbone cactus today!