Words from Katie, the Founder
As a Dr of Psychology my decision to found Bloombox Club, a plant subscription company, was part inspired by my desire to embrace and promote gardening as a form of applied meditation, a hobby for wellbeing. It was also to try and dispel the myths around gardening as an old people’s hobby or as an interest requiring specialist knowledge and to make it as easy as possible for people to get outside and start living and loving their outdoor space.
The Bloombox Club push for gardening ties in well with the ever-growing health conscious movement around us. We are all familiar with the health benefits of exercise and more recently meditation. Less known, however, are the health benefits of gardening, both physical and mental.
Gardening is an activity that can be weaved into one’s day with ease. “Gardening” is not just tending to your plants & maintaining a tidy and attractive outdoor space. It is in itself a form of doing which provokes an attention to the present, a “mindfulness”. Gardening in its simplest form is an activity for the mind and the body that is grounded in nature & the world around us. It brings us back to basics, and is a welcome respite from our technology fuelled lives. How does Gardening make you feel?
Top 5 facts about the health benefits of gardening
- Gardening reduces the levels of the stress hormone cortisol we have in our body
- Digging in the dirt improves our immune system
- Digging in the dirt increases the production of serotonin in parts of our brain
- Being surrounded by plants has shown to improve people’s relationships with others and the environment around them
- Plants are a natural moderator of moods