Also known as Bamboo Palm, Butterfly Palm, Golden Cane Palm and Yellow Palm, this is a favourite of interior gardening lovers!
My many stems form a fountain of arched green leaves. I was once endangered but, thanks to my growing popularity, I am no longer at risk of extinction.
The Areca Palm is a striking plant, kept indoors with the correct care, it can grow up to 6ft. in height and live for around a whole decade.
Great for homes with dry air, it helps purify and will brighten any space!
Large: Growing pot size is 17cm.
Overall plant height including growing pot: 45-55cm
Pets: Pet friendly
Key Benefits of Areca Palm
For those that suffer from dry skin in the colder months, this will be the perfect company! The Dypsis lutescens is an impressive humidifier as it transpires water and helps soften skin damage caused by central heating.
According to NASA researchers, it has effective purifying qualities.
Plant Care Tips: The Areca Palm
This is relatively easy to care for, your plant will thrive if you follow simple steps;
- Keep it in an area with bright, indirect light - the leaves can turn yellowish-green in direct sunlight,
- Keep the leaves away from cold windows, air conditioners and heat sources,
- In the warmer months, give it enough water to keep the soil lightly moist. In the colder months, only water it when the soil is slightly dry,
- They prefer distilled or collected rainwater,
- During the spring, feed it with a time-release fertiliser. In the summer, spray it with a micronutrient. They do not need feeding during winter and autumn.
- We recommend repotting it every 2-3 years to replace aged soil and remove fertiliser salt deposits
The Areca Palm Story
Where is it from?
Areca Palms are native to the rain forest of eastern Madagascar where they are found in sandy locations or very close to the ocean.
Years ago, because of large habitat destruction on the Island, the Dypsis lutescens were in danger. Luckily, with the growing popularity of indoor decorating and worldwide distribution, their extinction is now highly unlikely.
Who is the Dypsis lutescens?
Although they are large plants originally from tropical forests, these palms can accept trimming without serious consequences, making it possible to keep them indoors for their whole lives.
Because of their smooth, golden-ish trunks they can look similar to bamboo clumps. They feature feathery, arching, narrow and full fronds, each with up to 100 leaflets.
Good For You!
Transpiring: As they are tropical plants, they’re well adapted to humid conditions. Areca Plants perspire and act as humidifiers helping relieve respiratory issues and skin trouble.
Purifying: As part of their photosynthesis, they help filter volatile organic compounds like cigarette smoke and exhaust fumes.
Is The Areca Palm The Right Plant For Me?
Easy to care for and beautiful, we think this monumental palm suits everyone, especially if you have large rooms.
This is a spacious plant that will prosper in sizable rooms like kitchens and living rooms.
If you are struggling with respiratory problems or skin sensitivity, this will be a huge helping hand!