The Calathea Medallion will lift the look of any room with its spectacular large foliage.
This tropical plant has light and dark green concentric patterns (rather than stripes) on the tops of the leaves and a deep purple underside. Watch its leaves open and close at dawn and dusk.
Choose from two sizes:
Growing pot size: 19cm.
Overall plant height including growing pot: 65-75cm
Growing pot size: 27cm.
Overall plant height including growing pot: 70-80cm
Toxic: Non-toxic, pet friendly
Key Benefits of Calathea Medallion
Breathe better, sleep better!
Calatheas are wonder plants in terms of our well-being philosophy. They're pro air purifiers, wonderful for filtering toxins and pollutants from the atmosphere, making it easier to breathe and focus.
Studies have also linked plants' oxygenation of the air to better sleep quality for humans, so there's a real opportunity for the Calathea Medallion to contribute to your daily routine!
They are a popular choice for bedrooms, since their unusual leaves naturally fold up at night and unfurl during the day, often with a rustling sound. Keeping a Calathea in your home can be a great way to attune yourself to a more natural sleep cycle!
Calathea Medallion Plant Care Tips
- Place the Calathea Medallion in an area with dappled light conditions away from direct sunlight, intense rays can decolour its beautiful leaves. This plant is also tolerant to lower light levels.
- The ideal temperatures are between 18 and 29ºC. Avoid draughts and cold winds and keep it away from radiators, fireplaces and air conditioners.
- Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. Let the top of the soil dry out before watering and use preferably collected rainwater, filtered or distilled water.
- Keep humidity levels up by placing the plant on a tray filled with pebbles and water and misting it often.
- In the warmer months, feed it with a nitrogen-rich houseplant fertiliser every few weeks.
- If you notice any yellow or crispy leaves, remove them to maintain a luxurious appearance.
- When the plant starts to get root bound, it’s time to repot it in the next size container. Repotting is always better in the growing season. Use a well-draining soil mix
The Calathea Medallion Story
Also known as Calathea veitchiana
Where is it from?
A native from tropical America, especially Brazil.
Who is the Calathea Medallion?
Often mistaken for a prayer plant due to its leaves folding up overnight. The difference is that prayer-plants fold upright at the base of the stem and the Calathea Medallion curls up from the outer edges inward toward the central vein.
Good For You!
New beginnings! Symbol of new beginnings, the English saying ‘to turn over a new leaf’ originates from Calatheas due to their nocturnal leaves habit!
Relax: Being in nature or surrounded by houseplants helps decrease the levels of cortisol in our brains which leads to combating symptoms of stress and anxiety.
Is The Calathea Medallion The Right Plant For Me?
Are you looking for an elegant houseplant that doesn’t need much bright light? Then this is the one for you!
Some gardeners think that to look after Calatheas you’ll need a little bit of skill and perseverance to keep the plant happy. The Medallion however is thought to be the easiest of the Calatheas to maintain, so, if you are up for a very fulfilling challenge, why not give it a try?
Pets: Pet friendly
How tall does it grow? They can grow up to 40 to 60cm tall.
A striking plant that will brighten up any room! Get yours today!