The absolute statement plant!
With large, flat and broad deep green, architectural leaves, the Alocasia 'Regal Shields' will add drama to your home. The Regal Shields is a recent creation from a specialist grower, who develop new cultivars from rare plants found all over the globe.
The Regal Shields is one of the more coveted Alocasias around, and with its otherworldly leaves, and elevated veins, we can see why!
Growing pot size: 17cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 45-55cm
Key Benefits — Hydrating and Dust trapping
Plants with large surface areas like Alocasias require more water to grow. Because of this, they also expel more water during transpiration, increasing the air moisture. Perfect if your skin is on the dry or sensitive side.
Larger leaves are also excellent dust trappers, keeping toxins away from your surfaces and lungs!
Plant Care Tips: Elephant Ear 'Regal Shields'
- Like most tropical plants, Alocasia Regal Shileds likes bright areas away from direct sunlight. Outside, it will benefit from a 40% shade cloth.
- High humidity is important, pebble trays, humidifiers or regular misting is recommended. Young plants will do well by the bathroom window.
- The plant will thrive in warm conditions, the ideal daytime temperature is around 25ºC and at night no lower than 16ºC.
- Water once the top two inches of soil dry out but don’t let it get too soggy. If your plant gets too much water, it will drip water from the tip of the leaf - a sure sign that you need to level off a bit!
- During the growing season, feed it with a diluted liquid fertiliser once a month.
- Regal Shields is a fast grower and need repotting once every two years. The soil needs to be very well-drained, moist-retentive, nutrient-rich and slightly acidic. The roots of your Regal Shield need to get oxygen or they will rot and die.
The Elephant Ear 'Regal Shields' Story
Where is it from?
Native to tropical regions in Africa
Who is the Elephant Ear 'Regal Shields'?
A cross between an Alocasia Black Velvet and an Alocasia Odora.
Good For You!
- Safety: Because of our natural attraction to savannas, plants with top-heavy growth habits like Alocasias are considered to inspire feelings of safety and security.
- Connection: As you care for this Alocasia, you build a nurturing relationship with nature which leads to looking better after yourself and others!
Is The Elephant Ear 'Regal Shields' The Right Plant For Me?
With regards to care, this plant is relatively easy-going once you learn the do’s and don’ts but what you need to seriously consider is space!
Regal Shields reach great heights so it may not be the ideal choice for those in smaller apartments. However, if you want to fill a large room or even a patio, this plant is a great choice!
Keep away from nibbly pets and curious children
How big does it grow?
They can get as wide as they get wide, reaching up to 1.5 to 2 meters indoors, outside, they will grow even bigger!
*Decorative pots sold separately
A beautiful plant to bring tropical vibes to your home! Get yours today!