This exquisite orchid looks like something out of James Cameron’s 'Avatar’.
This particular orchid is a cultivar bred in a greenhouse. The orchids creator named it after his wife, Nelly Iser.
'Nelly Iser' boasts deep pomegranate red blooms. The five petal that make up the crown of the orchid are elongated, where the lower petal is bodacious and full, speckled and stripped leading to a yellow centre. Their bright patterned blooms are reminiscent of untouched jungles.
Grow pot size: 12cm
Overall height including grow pot: 55-60cm
Plant Care Level: Easy - Advanced
Cambria 'Nelly Iser' Plant Care Tips
How to care for information:
- Avoid direct sunlight, the blooms and foliage are susceptible to burning.
- Temperature fluctuating is key to encouraging your orchid to rebloom. Blooms usually last 6 - 8 weeks in the ideal environment. Once they have fallen off, your orchid will need to sense a change in temperature in order to rebloom. You can encourage this by:
- Go easy on the watering. Watering every 7 to 9 days is perfectly sufficient or when the soil medium has almost dried out.
- Use a skewer or chop stick to help determine if the soil is dry.
- A reddish hue on the leaves is a good indication it is receiving enough light.
The Cambria 'Nelly Iser' Story
Where is it from?
The Cambria Orchid is not a naturally occurring species. In facet the species has developed through cross breeding of different orchids.
Who is the Cambria 'Nelly Iser'?
The Cambria orchid, like most orchids is a Epiphyte. If they were to occur naturally in the wild they would be found growing on trees, using the branches as support. Its the genetic cross breeding of this species that creates the bright colours and exotic patterns.
Is the Cambria 'Nelly Iser' the right plant for me?
We have marked this orchid as ‘Easy to Advanced’ for care. It really comes down to how green, your green thumb is. If you have a nice warm bright spot in your house and can increase the surrounding humidity. You probably will not struggle with this orchid! However, If you are unable to meet these requirements you might find them tricky to keep happy.
The low water requirements makes this a more of a set it and forget it plant. Especially in the winter. The orchid will likely surprise you with flowers if you maintain a regular schedule, And we think these blooms are with it!
Pet Friendly: No
Location Suggestions: In the Northern Hemisphere we suggest placing near your Orchid near a window that is North West facing. You can place them on shelves, desks and in you bedroom as long as they have plenty of light and humidity.
Blooms appear deep red in cooler temperatures. Unlike other orchids, Cambrias don’t bloom twice on stems.