Upright, spear-like scallop-edged leaves with dark red undersides are my defining feature!
Also known as Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana, the Alocasia Lauterbachiana displays multiple upright stems which give way to green upright crinkle-cut leaves with deep red veins and undersides!
This striking variety from the Alocasia Family is a great way of adding structure to your plant collection. All this Elephant Ear asks for in return is warmth and humidity.
Growing pot size: 19cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 80-90cm
Is it toxic? Keep away from children and pets
Key Benefits of the Alocasia Lauterbachiana
Its upright form, strong stems and vibrant foliage make the Lauterbachiana a beautiful ornamental plant.
All plants absorb carbon dioxide from the air and transform it into the oxygen we breathe. Tropical plants like the Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana are specialists in filtering unsafe gases and other toxins from the atmosphere!
How to care for the Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana
- Let the top 2 inches of the soil dry between watering.
- They like rich, well-draining soil.
- This Alocasia will appreciate a space with indirect bright sunlight
- They prefer a consistent environment when it comes to temperature. 18ºC to 22º is perfect.
- Like most tropical plants, this Elephant Ear will thrive in humid areas. If your home air is a little dry, a humidifier helps. If that’s not possible, place it on a tray with pebbles and water, misting it often also helps
- Cutting down dry and dead leaves will ensure the plant’s healthy growth.
- Feed it with a liquid fertiliser during the growing season.
The Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana Story
Part of the Arum family, this plant is also known as 'Purple Sword' due to its shape and purple-coloured undersides and flowers.
Where is it from?
Elephant Ears grow naturally in the tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia. Especially Borneo, Indonesia and New Guinea.
Good For You!
Colour: Certain colours found in nature help us feel calm and relaxed. The colour green is naturally associated with nature and balanced.
Humidifying: If you spend a lot of time indoors, at home or in an office, plants are super beneficial. The Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana helps improve the air quality and reduce breathing and skin sensitivities.
Is The Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana The Right Plant For Me?
The Elephant Ear Lauterbachiana is not a fussy plant to take care of, as long as you try to mimic its tropical preferences, it will thrive in any home!
Fact: This vintage-looking plant is tough to have conquered the living room in the 1950's.
How tall does it grow? In its natural habitat, it can grow up to 4 m tall.
An elegant ornamental plant that will add style to your home decor. Buy yours now!