Cast Iron Plant
Better known as the Cast Iron Plant; the Aspidistra elatior is a popular plant from times gone by and can almost grow in the dark! The plant has developed a robust tolerance for lower light conditions, shading under the canopy of taller trees in Asia (hence the common name). You shouldn’t expect any flowers, but you will get leathery, deeply glossy foliage all year round.
Growing pot size: 19cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 75-85cm
Key Benefits — Dust Trapping and Safety
Indoor plants, especially large foliage ones, like the Cast Iron plant, are great at trapping dust, keeping them away from your surface and your lungs!
In an evolutionary context, lush greens are good indicators that an area is habitable. Due to our evolutionary heritage, environmental characteristics can determine if we feel ‘safe’ or ‘unsafe’.
Plant Care Tips: Cast Iron Plant
- This plant is not too fussy about light levels, as long as it’s kept away from direct sunlight as this could burn its leaves.
- The less light, the less water it will need. Let the soil dry before watering it. Make sure it's moist, not soaked. Be careful to not overwater it as this could cause wet feet and root rot.
- Although it doesn’t need much water, it likes humidity, mist it often or place it on a tray with pebbles and water.
- The temperature can range from 7 to 27ºC and it can tolerate as low as -1ºC
- Fertilising is only needed in the growing season, once every 3 weeks, make sure the soil is moist first and use a general house plant mix. Do not feed during the first year after repotting it.
- This is a very slow grower so frequent repotting is not necessary. Once every 3 or 4 years once it reaches maturity should be plenty. Use well-draining soil and container.
The Cast Iron Plant Story
Where is it from?
Native to Asia, particularly Japan and Taiwan
Who is the Cast Iron Plant?
- Also known as bar-room plant
- This flowering plant will rarely bloom indoors but in its native environments, it produces small purple flowers that are so tiny that get overshadowed by the plant’s large leaves.
Good For You!
- Fell good! Our bodies absorb feel-good chemicals when we are in an environment with bright green natural forms.
- Vitality: Adding plants with vibrant green leaves can instantly bring a feeling of health and vitality to a room!
Is The Cast Iron Plant The Right Plant For Me?
If you are looking for easy to care for plants but don’t want a cactus? The Cast Iron Plant is the next best option! It will thrive even with some neglect! And if you want a companion for life, this plan can live for up to 50 years! It can even be passed through generations!
Pets: Pet friendly
How tall does it grow? This easy-going slow grower can reach up to 90cm in height and width.
*Decorative pots sold separately
Gorgeous vibrant green leaves to make you feel good! Get the Cast Iron Plant today!