This little beauty is often mistaken for a member of the Monstera family because its leaves have a similar shape, but it is in fact quite a rare species, not often found in the wild. The good news is, this rarity is not proportionate to sensitivity - the Minima is a tough cookie and a fast-grower so get ready to re-pot regularly!
Unlike the Monstera Deliciosa, the Minima’s leaves show cuts from early stages, the vines grow sideways and can reach up to 12 inches in a growing season.
The leafy, fast-growing Minima has been the star of plant enthusiast posts on Instagram - just check out #rhaphidophoratetrosperma. If you want to make your plant-loving friends jealous, get snapping and make sure you tag us @bloomboxclub!
Choose from 2 options
Your plant will come in a growing pot that you can pop into your favourite decorative container.
Growing pot size: 12cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 15-20cm
Your Monstera Minima will come in a biodegradable handmade coconut fibre bowl. No decorative pot needed! It also includes a hanging rope.
Kokodama Size: 17 cm
Overall Plant Height Including Kokodama: 20-30cm
Kododamas are made in Sri Lanka in collaboration with local communities. Every bowl sold helps projects that give school children a better future!
But what is the correct spelling?
Kokedama: A Japanese tradition, they are bowls made with moss on which the plant grows.
Kokodama: Our Kokodamas are based on the Japanese tradition but made with coconut fibre, hence the slight variation on their name!
Key Benefits — Purifying and Dust Trapping
The plant’s photosynthetic abilities release oxygen in the air and help maintain steady levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Its leaves also have great dust trapping powers, keeping nasties away from your lungs!
Plant Care Tips: Monstera Minima
- The Monstera Minima likes bright spaces but be careful with direct sunlight and cold draughts. Avoid temperatures below 12 ºC and above 30ºC.
- Let the top few inches of soil dry out in between waterings and avoid soggy soil to prevent root rot.
- Make sure you give this plant plenty of humidity, mist the leaves often. You can also place the plant on a tray with wet pebbles.
- Use a clean cloth to remove accumulated dust.
- During the growing season, feed it with a general plant fertiliser once a month and once every e months in the colder seasons.
- Remove any yellow or drying leaves to encourage better growth and don’t cut the aerial roots or the plant will weaken.
- Repotting is recommended every 2 or 3 years, use a fresh well-draining organic soil mix.
The Monstera Minima Story
The Monstera Minima is a member of the Araceae family and it’s also known as Dwarf Monstera, Monstera Ginny and Mini Monstera.
Where is it from?
Originally from Southern Thailand and Malaysia.
Good For You!
- Self-Esteem: Looking after the Monstera Minima and other plants, can help you develop a better and more compassionate relationship with yourself and others around you!
- Relax: Being around nature and houseplants can help regulate our stress levels promoting relaxation and recovery.
Is The Monstera Minima The Right Plant For Me?
The Monstera Minima can be grown as a vining plant or up a supporting frame. Although it’s a fast grower, it won’t take as much space as other ‘Monsteras’.
It’s also easy to propagate in water and steam and leaves cuttings.
It’s a relatively low maintenance plant, but it can show signs of stress if not looked after correctly.
Pets: Keep away from nibbly pets
How tall does it grow? Up to 4m in height and 0.8m in width.
*Decorative pots sold separately
Grow your plant collection and knowledge with the beautiful Monstera Minima. Get yours today!
Useful to know:
I come from Southern Thailand and Malaysia
I am a speedy grower and love to climb so get me some supports soon if you want me upright. I have been known to grow to 5m in the wild! If you let me trail, my vines will become a little leggy and the leaves may not split as nicely as if you help me climb.
I like bright light and can deal with direct sunlight so keep me near a window.
I prefer to have my soil moist in growing season and cut back in winter but I'm hardy and will forgive less frequent watering. I'd prefer that to overwatering please!
I'm happy with normal room temperatures. I like humidity so if you can, op me near other plants or in a humid environment, but don't worry if you can't - I'm hardy and can take it.
I love a high-nitrogen fertiliser dose once a month but only during growing season. Please don't feed me during winter.
I am a fast grower, so cut me back if I start taking over your home!
Because of my vigorous growth, I will need repotting at least once a year. I like well-draining soil with perlite/pumice and bark mixed in best.
I am toxic so make sure my leaves aren't ingested by curious pets and kids.
I am often mistaken for a member of the Monstera family, hence my common name Monstera Minima or sometimes Piccolo. Some also mistake me for a Philodendron.
Excludes decorative pot.