Rubber Plant 'Tineke'
Ficus elastica Tineke
The Rubber Plant Tineke is the easiest of the Ficus family, care-wise. It has beautiful glossy leaves that range from green to white to soft pink.
Ficus plants have been a popular indoor choice for a long time. If you are looking for one with a ‘twist’, this variegated one is a great option!
Growing pot size: 12cm
Overall plant height including growing pot: 25-30cm
Key Benefits — The statement ornament your home was missing!
Rubber plants are beautiful statement ornaments to any home. The ‘Tineke’ has the advantage of having exotic looking leaf colouration and will add a touch of the tropics to your indoor decor!
They are also tolerant of being over or underwater, which makes them ideal for beginners.
Plant Care Tips: The Rubber Plant Tineke
- Tineke prefers bright warm spaces with temperatures that don’t fall under 16ºC. In the summer it can go outside as long as it’s protected from the midday heat.
- When the soil becomes dry to the touch, give it a good soak and let the excess water drain.
- This plant is happy in normal home humidity conditions, you can mist it from time to time to give it extra moisture.
- If you want to maintain its size, you can prune the top of the plant from time to time. Trim back unwanted leaves and branches to encourage growth.
- Remove excess dust using a damp clean cloth in room temperature water.
- A young plant will appreciate being reported once a year during the growing season to allow its roots to expand. Established plants only need repotting once every 3 years as long as the soil is replaced yearly. Use a well-draining potting mix.
The Rubber Plant Tineke Story
Also known as Variegated Rubber Plant; Rubber Fig; Ficus Tineke; rubber bush; rubber tree; Indian rubber bush; Indian rubber tree
Where is it From?
Native to Southeast Asia
Who is Ficus Elastica Tineke?
- Rubber plants gained popularity in Europe during the ’90s
- The name ‘Rubber Plant’ was given due to its white sap which is used in the production of rubber.
Good For You!
- Purifying: These imposing trees filter airborne toxins from the atmosphere, and they have been named one of the best plants to clear the air.
- Relax: Plants are proven to alleviate the body’s response to stress, the bigger they are, the better the feeling of calm and safety.
Is The Rubber Plant 'Tineke’ The Right Plant For Me?
As long as you are careful with its watering schedule and have plenty of space to allow it to grow, you are likely to have no issues with the Rubber Plant Tineke. If you are struggling with space, regular pruning will keep its size manageable.
If you have an outdoor area, it will appreciate the fresh air during the summer but avoid cold drafts.
The latex in the sap is not especially pleasant if swallowed, so it needs to be kept away from curious children and pets. Handle the plant carefully if you are prone to latex allergies.
How tall does it grow? In its native habitat, Tineke can reach up to 40 meters tall, but as an indoor plant, it won’t reach this height.
*Decorative pots sold separately
Distinctive green and cream patterned leaves will give your guests something to talk about! Get your Rubber Plant Tineke today!