It is not a myth that our society leaves little room for men to talk about the struggle, fear and grief that befall all of us over the course of a lifetime.
Societal expectations of women have been spoken about widely throughout history, but the fact that men can also be damaged by stereotypes and the expectations that come with this, is less discussed.
Here are the hard facts:
- Three times as many men as women die by suicide
- Men aged 40-49 have the highest suicide rates in the UK
- According to the Government’s national wellbeing survey, men report lower levels of life satisfaction than women
- Only 36% of referrals to NHS talking therapies are for men
The Mental Health Foundation says there’s research that suggests that ‘...men will access help when they feel it meets their preferences, and is easily accessed, meaningful, and engaging.’. Although we know we don’t have the power to change society's perception of men's mental health in this blog, we can certainly start the conversation.
A few ways you can practice self-care:
- Take yourself on a date! Allow yourself time to reflect on how you’re feeling and find a way to accept that you may not be able to deal with everything all on your own. Some ideas we recommend: going for a long walk, taking yourself out for dinner or sitting in the park with a book.
- Talk to someone you trust about how you’re feeling. This may seem daunting as you’re just beginning on your wellbeing journey. But chatting to someone (a friend, partner, family member or a professional) is the most important first step you can take!
- Look after yourself. Do what makes you feel good! Whether it’s eating well, regular exercise or getting enough sleep, listen to your body and give yourself the time to put you first.
- Buy a plant that needs a little bit more TLC. Some plants, like the Extra Large Calathea Orbifolia or the Philodendron Imperial Green, require a mist or their leaves to be dusted from time to time. This active plant care can help us to become more nurturing human beings, the idea being that when we learn to look after our plants, we will learn to take care of ourselves and those around us too.
We all have a part to play in spreading the message that men’s wellbeing is valid and important! Let’s pave the way for future generations by normalising openness, vulnerability and looking after ourselves.
Did you know that we do amazing Aomori Hiba products? Aomori Hiba contains powerful resin with a unique chemical structure that has been linked to improved concentration, decreased stress-levels and heightened immune functioning. With their earthy, woody scent these products will connect you to nature and help you relax. We have lots of self-care products to choose from including our Aomori Hiba Essential Oil and the Aomori Hiba Deep Oil Wood Chips.